The clock stops to advance the chains after a first down.  Prior to starting
the
review was called.  One more case of Miles' luck.

From: John Vega <zebu...@gate.net>
To: Gatortalk@googlegroups.com
Sent: Mon, October 11, 2010 10:36:32 AM
Subject: [gatortalk] What bugs me

Is not the forward/backwards pass issue.

I am somewhat bothered that we didn't see the play coming. We did in our living
room. The distance was longer than the kicker had ever completed in his career,
and - even if successful - would merely have given LSU overtime on the road
against a loud raucous crowd. It seemed obvious that Mile would try to win the
game in regulation.

What bothers me is that, when the first down as picked up, LSU players were
running to the line to spike the ball on 1st down to stop the clock. I think
that LSU was out of time outs at that point, having used its last to set up the
fake previously.

Had normal football been played, 6 or so seconds would have run off the clock
and LSU would have spiked the ball on first down; leaving it three tries (and
not a lot of time) at the end zone. There is also the outside change of a
penalty on the offense for not being set, improper alignment, too many players
on the field, as often happens when one tries to run to the line of scrimmage
spike the ball and stop the clock.

Instead, the official review acted as a "free" LSU timeout, giving it a chance
to freely substitute and be set when the clock started. More importantly, LSU
no
longer had to waste first down on the spike - giving it 4 shots at the end zone
instead of 3.

LSU scored on its fourth try; a try it would not have had but for the official
review.

-Zeb

--GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions  |  2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions  |  2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions  |  Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve
Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us