i knew I was forgetting something: Please stay tuned to the event status on
http://bombay-dost.pbwiki.com/ Mails on yahoogroups don't always arrive in
time to keep you updated.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nitin Karani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Apr 5, 2007 12:12 AM
Subject: Reminder: Bombay Dost: Sunday High -- 8 April 2007
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "
gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com" <gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com>, "
[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*Juste une question d'amour* (2000)

*Runtime:* 90 min

*Synopsis:* Just a Question of Love follows the whirlwind romance of two
young men in different stages of coming out. The film paints a heartbreaking
portrait of the difficulties that befall a relationship when one man lives
proudly out of the closet, while the other has created a double life to
please his parents.

*Review 1:* "This film is pretty much perfect. I can't fault it. It's
utterly romantic; full of delicious angst; wonderfully acted and scripted
and has a total naturalness that makes you feel you're listening to a story
from one of your own family. This must be the best coming out film ever
made. It's an intelligent film, and that's pretty rare these days. Every
single character in this film is wonderful portrayed with total honesty.
Even the setting is quite lovely in the garden that agricultural students
Cedric and Laurent care for. There are no gay bars; no drugs; no leather or
bears. There's just people living ordinary, good lives. And best of all this
are are the gorgeous Cedric and Laurent. I defy you to watch this film and
not believe that these two men are deeply in love. And it's so much more
than that. They work together; they play together and it's so natural and
sexy and lovely to watch. It's the most positive depiction of a gay
relationship I've seen in any movie. The level of angst this film builds up
is due to this lovely relationship. You'll be desperate for it all to work
out, but everything seems conspiring against it. This is now my number one
recommendation for a great gay movie."

https://www.tescodvdrental.com/visitor/product_detail.html?product_id=64189

*Review 2:* It is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. I adore
this film. The story, the acting, the characters are truly first rate and
Christian Faure is such a good director. No doubt what French cinema always
does best is telling small intimate stories with warmth and intimacy like
this movie. They are always a good choice for a cosy night in. I highly
recommend this film and I love to watch this film over and over again
especially the scene where Cedric tells Laurent that he loves him in the
car. So wonderfully romantic and so the saying goes "love changes
everything".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juste-Question-DAmour-Cyrille-Thouvenin/dp/B000EZ7VU8

------------------------------

*Capote* (2005)

*Runtime:* 114 min

*Synopsis:*

In 1959, Truman Capote, a popular writer for The New Yorker, learns about
the horrific and senseless murder of a family of four in Holcomb, Kansas.
Inspired by the story material, Capote and his partner, Harper Lee, travel
to the town to research for an article. However, as Capote digs deeper into
the story, he is inspired to expand the project into what would be his
greatest work, In Cold Blood. To that end, he arranges extensive interviews
with the prisoners, especially with Perry Smith, a quiet and articulate man
with a troubled history. As he works on his book, Capote feels some
compassion for Perry which in part prompts him to help the prisoners to some
degree. However, that feeling deeply conflicts with his need for closure for
his book which only an execution can provide. That conflict and the mixed
motives for both interviewer and subject make for a troubling experience
that would produce an literary account that would redefine modern
non-fiction.

*Review:* Brilliant portrayals are chilling. Philip Seymour Hoffman's
invocation of the essence of Truman Capote is mesmerizing. I suspect that
most of the readers on websites such as these may not have stored memories
of Capote in the 60's. An unlikely media darling, I vividly recall his
flaunting gay affectations and cosmopolitan barbs. Hoffman's detailed and
incisive performance implores, "And the Oscar goes to........" Beyond his
performance is a riveting and eerie story directed with flawless craft and
impressive restraint. It is a film that left me sitting and discussing its
nuances and its depth, until the theater's lights flickered to oust me. The
film surrounds the time when Capote wrote "In Cold Blood," a book nearly
everyone read in the late 60's, its title seeming obvious. This latest movie
inserts Capote into the original crimes that inspired "In Cold Blood" and
challenges us to revisit that title.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/usercomments

------------------------------

*Time:* 5 p.m.

*Venue:* The Humsafar Trust's Drop-in Centre, 1st floor, Vakola Municipal
Market Building, Near Raheja Point and Vakola Masjid, Santacruz (East),
Mumbai.

*Getting there:* It's approximately minimum fare by autorickshaw from
Santacruz station (East). You could also take routes 311 or 313. The same
routes also operate from Kurla (West) station.

*Space courtesy: *The Humsafar Trust.

*Note:* Programme subject to change without notice.

--
My blog's at: http://queerindia.blogspot.com

--
My blog's at: http://queerindia.blogspot.com