Yes, the reply was surprisingly touching and moving.  It even brought
back memories of when I was a gay man in my 20s running all over the
place trying not to be left out of anything.  ha ha (I always felt
like I was missing out on everything, all the time)

No matter where we are in the world, we have to figure out how we're
going to live our gay life.  No matter what you try it is a VERY good
idea to be cautious and ask a lot of questions, first.

Peter

--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, vikas khanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> > but they could
> > come anytime. They could come and harass any party,
> > gay or straight,
> > and of course since homosexuality is still penalised
> > in India, the
> > consequences could be worse for us. They may not be
> > able to make any
> > charges stick, but they could make things tough for
> > you if you're
> > deep in the closet.
> >
> > So that's the scenario. No problems so far. No
> > reason there should be
> > problems. But no saying there will never be. Now
> > that I've clarified
> > that, let me ask you a question. You asked whether
> > you could risk
> > coming to a party. Let me ask you: can you risk not
> > coming?
> >
> > No, I am not saying that everyone has to come to
> > parties, that its an
> > imperative part of being gay in India. Lots of gay
> > guys comfortably
> > lead their lives without ever coming to a party. I
> > don't even find
> > them that interesting myself, perhaps because as an
> > organiser I've
> > been to too many. There are lots of other ways to
> > lead your life as a
> > gay man, other ways to interact with other gay
> > friends. But it
> > doesn't sound from your mail that you're
> > experiencing any of them.
> >
> > So let coming to parties stand for getting in touch
> > with other gay
> > people, and your own gay self, and now ask yourself.
> > You think you're
> > safe at the moment, but in fact you're not. You're
> > at risk from
> > loneliness, from not connecting with other gay men
> > like you, from
> > waking up one day and finding most of your life has
> > passed and you
> > have not found love in the way that means something
> > for you.
> >
> > Or perhaps you'll try and find it the way closeted
> > men do, by
> > cruising, by trying through Internet sites, perhaps
> > by hiring
> > hookers. There is nothing wrong with any of these,
> > but they are not
> > that easy and they carry significant risks
> > themselves. Just ask all
> > the guys who have gone disillusioned and bitter
> > trying to find love
> > on the Net or the guys who have got beaten up by
> > hookers.
> >
> > The events organised by GB and other queer groups
> > are not a solution
> > to all your problems. But they are an attempt to
> > create relatively
> > safe spaces for gay men to meet other gay men like
> > them and in doing
> > so create a community. GB has been doing this for
> > many years now and
> > we have a community that is certainly benefitting
> > people. So let me
> > ask you again: can you afford not to get in touch?

vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.