-- No Pride But Gay - India's Gay Parades July 01, 2008
Sakshi Juneja <http://www.sakshijuneja.com/blog/>

[image: Pic : Times of
India]<http://sakshijuneja.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/photo.cms.jpg>

While the three other metropolitan cities of India had the Gay
Pride<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshowpics/3177902.cms>,
Mumbai's non participation was definitely a subject of much debate and
bewilderment.
  I mean, if
Delhi<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Delhi/Delhi_has_its_first_gay_parade/articleshow/3178512.cms>could
have it, then how come the most recognized city on the Indian map, the
city of dreams, the fabled city of chill and chic, didn't?

*'Hypocrisy'* is the one-word answer I got when I posed this question to a
Gay friend. Apparently, there is much infighting and lack of unity among the
various Gay groups and NGOs in the city. The divides runs deep between the
classes and the masses, and never the twain shall meet - or so he said.

The white-collared lot happily goes about its business without caring about
'burning' issues like rights or laws, said another Gay friend. In Mumbai, it
seems, not many can be bothered enough to dress up and walk the streets the
way they did in Delhi, Bangalore and Kolkata. But the same does not hold
true for parties, I recently discovered.

Boy do they dress up there, and boy, do they party.

In snooty South Mumbai, I experienced my first of such parties. As a
straight person, one doesn't often get to see this side of Mumbai, and my
Gay friend was only happy to take me along to one of the dos. Us three
straight chics and five strapping Gay lads.

They say that first impressions are the lasting ones. Well I had more than
my share of first impressions:

   - I often wondered where all the cute men have gone. Now I know.
   - Indian men can dance. Rephrase that – Gay Indian men can dance – the
   pelvic thrust being an extremely popular move.
   - Swapping partners, a common thing.
   - Several men. Five women. Not one got a second look. (I'm talking about
   the women.)
   - The ladies toilet isn't just for the ladies. If you know what I mean.
   - Makeshift bedrooms, the restrooms.
   - Celebrity spotting. No Karan Johar though. Or his better half.
   - And… the best bit… all of the above happening on top of a family
   restaurant.

 The pride may not have happened in Mumbai. And it's probably more than just
lack of unity between Gay groups. After all how can we forget our political
*mai-baap* also play moral police at the drop of a hat.

But, who says the pride in their identity isn't there?

*(* Pic : Times of India)*

Check out the YouTube Video Footage. Some powerful stuff.

Saakshi O. Juneja is an active blogger, feminist and overboard dog lover.
Currently working as a Business Development Manager for a sportswear
manufacturing company in Mumbai, India. Did graduation in Marketing &
Advertising from Sydney, Australia. As far as blogging is concerned...is a
complete Blog-a-holic.

Email
this<http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailFlare?itemTitle=No%20Pride%20But%20Gay%20-%20India%27s%20Gay%20Parades&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdesicritics.org%2F2008%2F07%2F01%2F115523.php>•
Digg
This!<http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&partner=fb&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdesicritics.org%2F2008%2F07%2F01%2F115523.php&title=No+Pride+But+Gay+-+India%27s+Gay+Parades>•
Submit
Reddit<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdesicritics.org%2F2008%2F07%2F01%2F115523.php&title=No%20Pride%20But%20Gay%20-%20India%27s%20Gay%20Parades>•
Save
del.icio.us<http://del.icio.us/post?v=4&partner=fb&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdesicritics.org%2F2008%2F07%2F01%2F115523.php&title=No+Pride+But+Gay+-+India%27s+Gay+Parades>•
Submit
Propeller<http://www.netscape.com/submit/?U=http://desicritics.org/2008/07/01/115523.php&T=No
Pride But Gay - India's Gay Parades&sBy=feedflare> • Stumble
It!<http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http://desicritics.org/2008/07/01/115523.php&title=No
Pride But Gay - India\'s Gay Parades>

www.gaybombay.in
www.gaybombay.info