From: Surajit A. Bose <psura...@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: [Khush] 377: what it means
To: "Vikram D" <vg...@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: gaybom...@yahoogroups.com, gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com,
lgbt-in...@yahoogroups.com, khush-l...@yahoogroups.com,
movenp...@yahoogroups.com, gayde...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 8:24 AM

      Vikram D wrote:

> Question 1) Is this judgment only applicable in Delhi?

> Response) This is the first time a court as senior as this, with such

> respected judges, has given a decision on homosexuality. Because of that

> it sends a powerful signal to the legal establishment across the

> country. We are confident that judges, lawyers and police officers

> across the country will understand and follow the Delhi High Court's lead

The question asks for a factual response. The answer given is an opinion.

However confident one may be that the establishment will follow this

ruling, the original question is still unanswered. Here are some

follow-up questions.

1. What, given India's judicial structure, is the exact scope of this

ruling at present?

2. If the scope of the ruling does not go beyond the jurisdiction of the

Delhi high court, then what needs to happen for it to be extended?

3. Can a different high court (e.g. Bombay) rule differently on a

similar case?

4. And of course, the case can always be appealed before the Supreme

Court, which could rule differently- -right?

So....some facts, please. The expressions of confidence are reassuring,

but actual information would be more helpful.

Thanks

-s