I dont think I am best qualified to answer your question about whether a stable
relationship between two men is possible. This is because I spent many years of
my life looking for ONLY sex. It is only recently that I have been able to
elucidate that while I was pretending to be satisfied with sex, I was always
looking for someone who would give me a lot of love. Somehow very early in life
I decided to compromise and go for what was available and have had my share of
VERY short term flings. Today I try to justify that behaviour of mine by
various means but I now understand that I was never fulfilled. Now when I try
to bring a semblance of sanity to my interactions with men and curtail my urges
to go out and seek sex it is really not easy. Today too I keep hoping that man
is somewhere out there.

So what am I trying to say? That all of us are actually only looking for sex?
And that love is just something incidental? Is there nobody who wants love?

Lets look at it another way - Sex is a basic human drive like hunger. And
therefore the desire for physical satisfaction is a paramount requirement.
Since we claim to be sentient beings we have added the trappings of love to the
sex act and now say that sex is an expression of love. But the basic desire for
that brief pleasure of ejaculation is still very much a basic instinct.

Nevertheless the desire to be loved, in that one is understood by at least one
person, is also almost as much of a basic instinct. Everyone wants to have the
assurance that one has at least that ONE person who is always there for us when
we need a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, or even just share ones deepest,
innermost thoughts, fears and  aspirations. The problem comes when that one
person is not the selfsame person who also fulfills our sexual needs! That,
where the ONE person provides for both our emotional and sexual needs  is an
ideal situation that some of us - me included  - aspire for. Lucky are those
who get it.

Let me end this on a personal note. Today when I have lived out more than half
my life on this earth I may be able to count myself comparatively lucky. I now,
finally, have someone who really really cares for me. I am able to tell him
everything, he understands me, he is sad when I cry, is happy when I smile, and
gives me a lot of emotional support. Yes I have found someone who comes close
to my ideal, in that he satisfies my emotional needs completely.

On the sexual front however matters are altogether different. He is a
physically attractive man who has no dearth of people willing
to accommodate his needs and even find fulfillment in fulfilling his needs. He
has a wide choice when it comes to sexual partners and indeed enjoys exercising
that choice. Much as  I would like it, I am not at all sure that he would be
willing to be mine and only mine, however much I would like to be his and his
alone. He is like the proverbial tiger who has tasted blood and now cannot help
hunt for more. That leaves me with a strange choice ........to carry on with my
short term flings, which are getting to be more and more meaningless, when I am
mentally already committed. Or else restrict myself to having sex only him, and
feel neglected and resentful when I know that he is also getting his jollies
elsewhere!

What would you do if you were in my position?