 From: Aditya Bondyopadhyay <adit.b...@gmail.com>
To: "gaybom...@yahoogroups.com" <gaybom...@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: gay_bombay <gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [gb] gay abuse in Russia

Hi, I'm not Tintin, but I had a thought! Having a petition is nice and fine,
but two things should precede it.

First, I think Indian activists should make an honest attempt to contact and
communicate with a cross section if Russian Activists and find out what it is
that THEY really want done, and/or if a petition of the kind being proposed is
actually one of them. They may also have suggestions about what to include in
such a petition and what kind of language to use.

Second, we need to introspect what effect this petition would actually have on
Putin/Russian-Government! In other words, would it elicit a reaction that may
end up hurting Russian LGBT.

Finally, a lot of Western White Gay activists have gotten on the bandwagon of
"let's beat up Putin" without so much as a "by your leave" to Russian gay
activists who have to live there. I don't think we should fall for the same
trap. We can do it if there is a need that it be done, but please let's do it
with a bit if ethic and diligence.!!

Aditya Bondyopadhyay
(Sent from my iPhone)