he new head of the World Psychiatric Association has come out as gay and
demanded action to stop homosexuality being treated as an illness.
Professor Dinesh Bhugra’s decision to talk about his sexuality is an
historic step forward for a profession with a history of abusing
lesbian, gay and bisexual patients.
- See more at:
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/worlds-top-psychiatrist-comes-out-promises-stand-gay-cures271113#sthash.zLrVcxp0.dpuf
[...]
The new head of the World Psychiatric Society, Indian Dr. Dinesh Bhugra, has
come out as gay and demands that homosexuality stop being treated as a disease:

27 November 2013 | By Tris Reid-Smith

Photo courtesy of King's College London.
The new head of the World Psychiatric Association has come out as gay
and demanded action to stop homosexuality being treated as an illness.
Professor Dinesh Bhugra’s decision to talk about his sexuality is an
historic step forward for a profession with a history of abusing
lesbian, gay and bisexual patients.
Speaking exclusively to The Guardian’s Patrick Strudwick today (27 November),
Bhugra said: ‘Being gay is an important part of me, but a private part.’
Next year Bhugra will become the first openly gay president of the World
Psychiatric Association.
Internationally respected psychological and psychiatric associations
have stopped viewing homosexuality as an illness and condemned attempts
to ‘cure’ gay people as misguided and dangerous.
But these attempted ‘cures’ still continue. There are even cases of
electro-convulsive therapy (ECT) being used in 2013.
Bhugra will be in a unique position to act as the leader of the association
supporting 200,000 psychiatrists worldwide.
Bhugra said: ‘There are still countries where it’s seen as an illness. We need
to make a stand.’
And he agreed psychiatry should apologize for past harm to lesbian, gay and
bisexual people.
He told The Guardian: ‘There is no doubt psychiatry hasn’t covered itself in
glory.
‘I think we ought to be apologizing for all of the areas, not just one
bit – like the treatment of women. I remember seeing a patient admitted
to a psychiatric hospital when she was 16 because she got pregnant
outside marriage. She died there in her 80s.’
And he argued the law in the UK should be changed so coroners record
the sexual orientation of suicides. Research suggests LGBTI people are
more likely to have mental health problems and take their own lives.
Strudwick, who has campaigned against ‘gay cures’ told GSN: ‘This is an
historic moment not only for psychiatry but for LGBT people around the
world.
‘Finally, we have someone to represent us, to fight our corner and to
take on those who still claim we are ill, sick, or need treatment.
‘Professor Bhugra condemns attempts to “cure” homosexuality, including
conversion therapy (which is still practiced even in Britain). He not
only wants to stand up to those who say otherwise but is the perfect
person to do it.
‘Having grown up in India, his beliefs will likely not be seen by developing
countries as an imposition of Western values.
‘This is of paramount importance and represents a huge opportunity to
transform the way in which LGBT people are treated by mental health
professionals around the world.’
Bhugra grew up in Yamuna Nagar, in Haryana state, northern India.
He didn’t have a word to apply to his feelings as a child but realized
he was gay after coming to the UK to train as a psychiatrist.
His partner of 30 years, Mike, helped him come out to friends and family.
Bhugra said: ‘My father freaked out completely, my mother was really
pragmatic and said, “Who’s going to look after you in your old age?”’
Bhugra is also professor of psychiatry and diversity at King’s College London,
and chair of the Mental Health Foundation.
He is already ‘out’ in his personal life but hasn’t spoken about his sexuality
publicly before.
Related Terms:
News
Bhugra
Controversies
Conversion therapy
Dinesh Bhugra
forward
Gay
Gender
head
Homosexuality
Human behavior
Human sexuality
leader
LGBT
Patrick Strudwick
Person Career
President
professor
psychiatrist
Sexual orientation
Social Issues
the Guardian
the Guardian
        * Login or register to post comments
        * Previous article: Three gay men called queers, refused service at
Manchester pub
        * Next article: College to offer course on RuPaul's Drag Race

Never miss a story! Get your free daily newsletter
Will Tom Daley coming out help other LGBTI sportspeople?
 Yes, a lot
 Yes, a little
 No
 Undecided
Most popular stories
________________________________

 The 11 biggest HIV and AIDS myths busted
 Is this a gay gang attacking a woman on a London bus?
 Twitter explodes with homophobic tweets after Tom Daley comes out as bisexual
 Is Tom Daley's boyfriend Oscar winner Dustin Lance Black?
 Kissing lesbian couple escorted out of Canada restaurant for being
‘promiscuous’
- See more at:
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/worlds-top-psychiatrist-comes-out-promises-stand-gay-cures271113#sthash.zLrVcxp0.dpufand
 demands

The new head of the World Psychiatric Association has come out as gay and
demanded action to stop homosexuality being treated as an illness. - See more