Hi Arthur,

> On 9 Apr 2024, at 11:40, Arthur Cohen <arthur.co...@embecosm.com> wrote:

> On 4/9/24 09:47, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On Mon, 2024-04-08 at 18:33 +0200, pierre-emmanuel.pa...@embecosm.com wrote:
>>> The rust frontend requires cargo to build some of it's components,
>>> it's presence was not checked during configuration.
>> Isn't this creating a hen-and-egg problem? How am I supposed to build a Rust
>> compiler for a target which is not supported by rustc (yet) when gccrs is
>> supposed to build-depend on cargo which requires rustc?
>> Adrian
>
> Quick reminder in case you haven't seen our Request for Comments on the main
> ML that this is only a temporary solution. Once gccrs can compile its
> dependencies, we'll go through a more "classical" bootstrapping chain.

I don’t suppose there’s some way to make a “download prerequisites” action for
this?

(I realise that the prerequisite might not be available for a given platform -
but then the configure will then just fail to detect them and carry on).

At the least the build documentation requested should (ideally) try to lower
the barrier to finding the deps and give reliable sources for them.

> rustc_codegen_gcc can probably already be used for building these
> dependencies however, if you'd like to have a look at that.

Detailing the verious options would also be a helpful part of the build doc.

thanks
Iain