Paul> Maybe.  Then again, maybe there are real problems here.  The ranlib
Paul> one was already mentioned.  And I wonder if libjava really needs to
Paul> bring the host to its knees, as it does.

Killing machines is only a secondary goal, if that's what you mean ;-)

The bad news is that libjava is only going to grow.

On the other hand, while I haven't measured it myself, I've heard that
a lot of the time in the libjava build is spent in libtool (versus
plain old ld).  Perhaps that can be alleviated somehow.

It is getting to be a major problem, to the point where it is simpler
to do one's development in Classpath and avoid libgcj just because of
the terrible turnaround time.  Unfortunately it seems to be an easier
problem to diagnose than to cure.

Tom