How about replacing that piece of junk that is called libtool with
something else ?

Preferably something that works.

Between it's really poor quoting capabitilities, and the fact that
half the tests are done at configure time, and half the tests are done
at run-time, libtool is really poor engineering.   It's really atrocious
when you see operating systems tests all over the place *in the libtool
script* and not in the configure process in the first place.

Heck, last time I even tried to figure out some specs for libtool
options from  the script, I nearly went mad.

It won't be any use for GCC, but I ought to tell you that the OpenBSD
folks are seriously considering replacing libtool entirely with a
home-made perl script that would ONLY handle libtool stuff on OpenBSD
and nowhere else.  Between the fact that the description is too
low-level (very hard to move libraries around, or -L stuff that pops up
in the wrong order all the time and gets you to link with the wrong
version of the library), and that some of the assertions it makes are
downright bogus (hardcoding -R even when it's not needed, or being real
nosy about the C compiler in the wrong way and assuming that the default
set of libraries without options will be the same one as the set with
-fpic), it's getting to the point where it would be a real gain to just
reverse-engineer its features and rewrite it from scratch.