> On Thursday, May 5, 2005, at 02:53  PM, Andi Vajda wrote:
>> I wish the same were possible on Linux and Mac OS X but I have not
>> been able to create a shared library that is statically linked
>> against libgcj.a

> Should just work, though, you don't want to link -static built objects
> into a .dylib, you merely want to link in -fPIC built objects from a .a
> into the dylib.  Can you manage to do this with a small example?

It's possible to do this.  I've done it on linux.  But if pieces of
the .a appear in several .so files, and if these pieces comes from
different versions, or different build configurations of the .a, there
may be trouble.

If you use -Bsymbolic when linking the .so files, you _may_ be able to
make each .so file see the symbols from its own .a file.  I wasn't
able to make it do this.  I was only able to use it to make an .so
look inside itself for symbols, before looking at the globally
available symbols.

More here:
        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.expat.general/920