> Next try documentation, installation. Talks about compiling again.
> Finally, at download, binaries I find what I want. Seeing as I suspect
> that is the link most people want when they first visit, it should
> perhaps be a little more obvious, and in the main body near the top?

Your scenario makes a lot of sense.  However, it should be possible to
verify actual usage patterns by investigating web site logs, to see which
pages are visited and (perhaps) in what order.  Based upon this information,
the pages can be re-organized to place first, and most prominent, the pages
that are generally visited first.

Sub-question: which version would the maintainers recommend that a user
looking for a stable release try first (3.3, 3.4, or 4.0)?