> On Mar 23, 2023, at 10:13 AM, Sid Maxwell via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for reaching out, Julian, I greatly appreciate your help.  Please
> forgive and over- or under-sharing.  If I've left something out, please let
> me know.
>
> From my pdp10.md:
>
> ;; JIRA sw_gcc-68.  gcc recognizes the "movmemhi" 'instruction' for
> ;; doing block moves, as in struct assignment.  This pattern wasn't
> ;; present, however.  I've added it, and it's companion function
> ;; pdp10_expand_movmemhi().
>
> (define_expand "movmemhi"
>   [(match_operand:BLK 0 "general_operand" "=r")
>    (match_operand:BLK 1 "general_operand" "=r")
>    (match_operand:SI 2 "general_operand" "=r")
>    (match_operand:SI 3 "const_int_operand" "")
>   ]...

I don't remember that far back, but looking at current examples (like vax.md)
that seems like an odd pattern.  vax.md has a three operand pattern with the
first two marked as "memory_operand" and only the first one has the = modifier
on it showing it's an output operand.

What does the 4.3 version of gccint say about it?  Or the 4.3 version of vax.md?

        paul