Hello,

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023, Richard Biener via Gcc wrote:

> In the case we ever implement conforming FP exception support
> either targets would need to be fixed to mask unexpected exceptions
> or we have to refrain from moving instructions where the target
> implementation may rise exceptions across operations that might
> raise exceptions as originally written in source (and across
> points of FP exception state inspection).
>
> That said, the effect to the FP exception state according to IEEE
> is still unanswered.

The IEEE 754-2008 predicate here is minNum/maxNum, and those are
general-computational with floating point result.  That means any sNaN
input raises-invalid (and delivers-qNaN if masked).  For qNaN input
there's a special case: the result is the non-qNaN input (normal handling
would usually require the qNaN to be returned).

Note that this makes minNum/maxNum (and friends) not associative.  Also,
different languages and different hardware implement fmin/fmax different
and sometimes in conflict with 754-2008 (e.g. on SSE2 maxsd isn't
commutative but maxNum is!).  This can be considered a defect in 754-2008.
As result these operations were demoted in 754-2019 and new functions
minimumNumber (and friends) recommended (those propagate a qNaN).

Of course IEEE standards aren't publicly available and I don't have
754-2019 (but -2008), so I can't be sure about the _exact_ wording
regarding minimumNumber, but for background of the min/max woes:

  https://754r.ucbtest.org/background/minNum_maxNum_Removal_Demotion_v3.pdf

In short: it's not so easy :-)  (it may not be advisable to slavishly
follow 754-2008 for min/max)

> The NaN handling then possibly allows
> implementation with unordered compare + mask ops.

Ciao,
Michael.