Sam James <s...@gentoo.org> writes:

> They're using > c89/gnu89 often because defaults have changed (a point
> others have raised, including Arsen and Eli Schwartz) even though they
> weren't intended to be compiled with newer C.
>
> A fair amount of other projects do explicitly ask for either c99/gnu99
> or c11/gnu11 and if they're doing that, they shouldn't be getting
> something which was removed from the C standard. But if they really want
> it, they can either downgrade to C89 (rather drastic), or set the
> proposed -fpermissive.

Too much trouble.

Let me tell you what will actually happen: people will never do what you
want them to.  Instead, they will simply write:

  extern int foo ();

above the new errors.  As a result, you will not have really
accomplished anything other than making a lot of users angry.  The
declarations will continue to be as correct as they have always been.