> From: Jason Merrill <ja...@redhat.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 22:55:07 -0400
> Cc: Eli Schwartz <eschwart...@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org>,
> gcc@gcc.gnu.org
>
> > Because now people will have to go through dozens and dozens of
> > Makefiles, configure.in, *.m4
>
> You shouldn't have to change any of those, just configure with CC="gcc
> -fwhatever".

That doesn't always work.  Whether it works or not depends on how the
Makefile's are written, whether libtool is or isn't being used, etc.

So yes, it will work in some, perhaps many, cases, but not in all of
them.

Moreover, the main problem with such a change is discovering that the
build broke because of different GCC defaults, and that adding
"-fpermissive" is all that's needed to pacify GCC.  I already tried to
explain why this is nowhere as simple in real life as some people here
seem to assume.  The aggravation and frustration caused by that
process of discovery is the main downside of this proposal, and I hope
it will be considered very seriously when making the decision.