Hi,

W dniu 5.07.2023 o 14:57, David Brown pisze:
[------------]

My objection to named address spaces stem from two points:

1. They are compiler implementations, not user code (or library code), which means development is inevitably much slower and less flexible.

2. They mix two concepts that are actually quite separate - how objects are allocated, and how they are accessed.

OK. I don't see a problem here, but I admit that mixing semantics often lead to problems.

Access to different types of object in different sorts of memory can be done today.  In C, you can use inline functions or macros.  For target-specific stuff you can use inline assembly, and GCC might have builtins for some target-specific features.  In C++, you can also wrap things in classes if that makes more sense.

Personally, I'd avoid inline assembly whenever possible. It does a very good job of obfuscating programmers' intentions. From my experience, I'd rather put the entire functions into assembler if compiler makes obstacles.

But that's not an issue here.

Allocation is currently controlled by "section" attributes.  This is where we I believe GCC could do better, and give the user more control. (It may be possible to develop a compiler-independent syntax here that could become part of future C and C++ standards, but I think it will unavoidably be heavily implementation dependent.)

I agree.

All we really need is a way to combine these with types to improve user convenience and reduce the risk of mistakes.  And I believe that allowing allocation control attributes to be attached to types would give us that in GCC.  Then it would all be user code - typedefs, macros, functions, classes, whatever suits.

OK. Sounds good.

Naturally I have my "wishlist": the "small pointers" segment/attribute :)

But how (and to what extend) would you do that? I mean, the convenient syntax is desirable, but IMHO at this point there is also a question of semantics: what exactly compiler is supposed to tell linker? I think it would be good to list here the use scenarios that we now of. Scenarios that would benefit from compiler communicating to linker more then names@sections. (even if such list wouldn't evolve into any implementation effort at this point I think that would nicely conclude this thread.)

-R