On Thu, 21 Dec 2023, David Malcolm via Gcc wrote:

On Wed, 2023-12-20 at 11:16 -0800, Eric Batchelor wrote:
Hello, I unintentionally stumbled upon some strange behaviour that
occurred due to a typo.
I reproduced the behaviour where an object (std::string in my case)
can
be passed to a function by reference, uninitialized, WITHOUT a
compiler
warning.
Changing the code to pass the object by value DOES emit the warning.
I don't think the compiled code is incorrect, it segfaults presumably
due to uninitialized members.
I understand there may seldom be a reason to use uninitialized
objects,
so "don't do that," but as I said this was unintentional and it seems
that it should have generated a warning, which have saved some
head-scratching.

Code to reproduce:

#include <string>
std::string f(std::string &s) {
   s.append("x");
   return s;
}
int main() {
   std::string a = f(a);
}

Compile and run (no warning):

$ g++ -o uninit_obj uninit_obj.cpp -std=c++23 -Wall -Wpedantic -
Wextra
&& ./uninit_obj
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

No difference whether using -O0 (or 1 2 3)

As I understand it, -Wmaybe-uninitialized is purely intraprocedural
i.e. it works within each individual function, without considering the
interactions *between* functions.

If you compile

#include <string>
static std::string f(std::string &s) {
 s.append("x");
 return s;
}
void g() {
 std::string a = f(a);
}

with -O3, by the time we get to the uninit pass, function g starts with

void g ()
{
  size_type __dnew;
  struct string a;
[...]
  <bb 2> [local count: 1073741824]:
  _26 = a._M_string_length;
  if (_26 == 4611686018427387903)

which should not require any interprocedural logic.

--
Marc Glisse