Am Sonntag, dem 07.07.2024 um 13:07 +0200 schrieb Alejandro Colomar via Gcc:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 09:15:23AM GMT, Martin Uecker wrote:
> >
> > Hi Alejandro,
> >
> > if in caller it is known that endptr has access mode "write_only"
> > then it can conclude that the content of *endptr has access mode
> > "none", couldn't it?
>
> Hmmmm.  I think you're correct.  I'll incorporate that and see how it
> affects the caller.
>
> At first glance, I think it would result in
>
>       nptr    access(read_only)       alias *endptr
>       endptr  access(write_only)      unique
>       errno   access(read_write)      unique
>       *endptr access(none)            alias nptr
>
> Which is actually having perfect information, regardless of 'restrict'
> on nptr.  :-)

Yes, but my point is that even with "restrict" a smarter
compiler could then also be smart enough not to warn even
when *endptr aliases nptr.

> > You also need to discuss backwards compatibility.  Changing
> > the type of those functions can break valid programs.
>
> I might be forgetting about other possibilities, but the only one I had
> in mind that could break API would be function pointers.  However, a
> small experiment seems to say it doesn't:

Right, the outermost qualifiers are ignored, so this is not a
compatibility problem.  So I think this is not an issue, but
it is worth pointing it out.

Martin