While on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, the second diagram shows the type written as 'int', as expected, on a 16 and 32 bit newlib based toolchain, it is being output as int32_t . And all the formatting is also a bit different, probably due to the change in how the int32_t is displayed.

What do other people see on toolchains where the regression tests actually have I/O functionality?

Would it make sense to handle this with one multi-line pattern for newlib based toolchains, ending with
   { dg-end-multiline-output "" { target *-*-elf } } */
 and one for glibc based toolchain, ending in
   { dg-end-multiline-output "" { target !*-*-elf } } */
 ?

I have no idea what toolchains with different libraries (and hence header files) would see.