On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 9:59 AM Thor Preimesberger
<tcpreimesber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure - we actually already emit json in optinfo-emit-json.cc,  and there are
> implementations of json and pretty-printing/dumping it out also. I got a
> hacky version of our current raw dump working with json objects, but using
> the functions and data structures in tree-dump.* "as is" would require
> further processing of the dump's output (and I think some further
> modification) in order to make linking related nodes possible - I think, at
> least. This seems expensive computationally, so I'm currently re-implementing
> the function dump_generic_nodes from tree-pretty-print.cc so that it emits
> JSON instead. tree-dump.cc doesn't currently handle all the current tree
> codes in dequeue_and_dump. This approach does unfortunately lead us to having
> another spot in the code base that needs to be synced with the tree data
> structure. (I didn't take a long look at tree-streamer* to see if anything
> there would be helpful, but it looks like we'd have to enumerate over the
> codes anyways to get JSON output.)
>
> No patch yet - I'll submit one once the JSON dumping is ready, and others
> that process it as appropriate. I've been pushing to get as much done before
> Wednesday, so I'll have to get around to pushing onto the git fork what I've
> done so far tomorrow / later today.

I'd like to actually see some of the progress here, even if
incomplete;  even if there's two versions (Tree-dump and
dump_generic_nodes).

> I wanna emphasize that I started a bit late on this since my academic term
> didn't end until around a month after the coding period began. We've already
> extended the project to accommodate for that, but it places the mid point
> review to three weeks in a project that is expected to take 12 weeks. We can
> still address the rate of progress if you still feel trepidacious about the
> pace of things.

There are 8 weeks left until final code submission, so we're 1/3rd
into the project.  That would be 4 weeks, but I understand
that it's more like three on your side.  At this point there should be
a clear path forward, thus the design should be set.  It's
a bit unfortunate that there's nothing written down in code or e-mail
from your side that shows progress there - I hope we
can sort this out later today.

Richard.