On 2024-09-05 10:03, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
at least time64 implies largefile, so that will get sorted as side
effect.

Right, but this means the "t" in "t64" is somewhat misleading, as it's not just about time: it also affects off_t, ino_t, etc., effects that are in some cases more important than the time_t effects. It may well be a good idea to use a different suffix, to remind non-experts about these other issues. How about "wsi" for "wider system integers"? E.g., i686-pc-linux-gnuwsi.

Is the plan to call these APIs XXXt64 or XXXwsi forever, even after the year 2038? For example, will i686-pc-linux-gnu be withdrawn in a few years?

How would you deal with the problem that i686-pc-linux-gnu would mean one thing in Gentoo and something else in Debian? (This was what I was hinting at when I suggested adding a suffix for 32-bit time_t instead of for 64-bit.)