it doesn't make the patch _management_ problem better ("now i have two
problems"), but https://github.com/landley/toybox takes the "why not both?"
approach --- you can use pull requests if you grew up with/adapted to
git/github, or you can use the mailing list otherwise ... taking into
account that what the "barriers" are depend on whose eye's you're looking
through.

somewhat related, Android's NDK uses github as their issue tracker [while
still having Google's usual "buganizer" issue tracker available] and we get
orders of magnitude more interaction with our users on github --- like it
or not, it's where the users are. anecdotally i notice people report
bugs/send patches to github _mirrors_ of AOSP projects, and have no idea
that's not the actual upstream.