On 23/09/2024 22:09, Andrew Pinski via Gcc wrote:
While working on the review from
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2024-September/663418.html .
I noticed that there are places which use `side effects` and some use
`side-effects`. I assume we should follow a similar pattern as
`back-end` vs `back end`. That is `side effect` when used as a noun
and `side-effect` when used as an adjective (though I am not sure how
it would be used as an adjective).

Though we currently use both versions as nouns and almost evenly used
in just the sources:
apinski@xeond:~/src/upstream-gcc/gcc/gcc$ git grep "side effect" *.cc|wc -l
176
apinski@xeond:~/src/upstream-gcc/gcc/gcc$ git grep "side-effect" *.cc|wc -l
167

Note for my patch I am just going to use `side effect` when used as a noun.

Thanks,
Andrew

For reference, if you think it is relevant, the C standards consistently use "side effect".