> Our understanding was that the debugger actually uses the symbol table,
> in addition to the debugging information, in some cases.  (This must be
> true when not running with -g, but I thought it was true in other cases
> as well.)  It might be true for other tools, too.
I can't offhand recall if GDB actually uses the minimal symbols (the
symbol table) for anything if there are debug symbols available.  But
even if we prove GDB doesn't use those symbols, we should still
keep them -- other tools, or even other debuggers (Etnus?) might still
use the symbols from the symbol table.

Jeff