This was the correct command to do, assuming that you *never* merged your
branch since its original creation. I inspected the history of the branch
(through 'svn log') and it seems this assumption is correct.

Yes.

Anyway, I have fixed the bug in svnmerge and attached a new version for you
in this mail.

Thanks for the quick fix. This seems to be working now ("svnmerge.py avail" gives me a rather enormous list of revision numbers).

For curiosity: you could have worked around this auto-detection problem by
manually specifying the head of the branch and the branch point: "svnmerge
init /trunk -r1-96656".

That complains about
  svnmerge: "/trunk" is not a valid URL or working directory

but no big deal since the other method works.

(The "commit -F/rm" combination seems a bit arcane to me, what exactly
am I doing there?)

Nothing special. The svnmerge tool *never* commits anything on your behalf:
it always modifies your working copy and lets you review what it did and do
the actual commit. To ease your work, it generates a simple commit message
in a text file. When you say "svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt", you're
just telling svn to grab the commit message from the text file that svnmerge
generated for you. Then, you can simply remove the file as it's useless.

Ah ok. Somehow I got confused with my old CVS mindset of "no files changed, what am I committing", but I assume it's this property thing.

Feel free to mail me with other svnmerge problems, I'm happy to provide you
with support.

Thanks!

Bernd