On the regression front, we have 61 open serious (P3 or higher)
regressions that are specific to 4.2.  I have not triaged these, so
there is a good chance than more than a few relate to Ada, Java,
Fortran, or non-primary, non-secondary platforms.  I think that,
therefore, the regressions which are common to 4.1 and 4.2 are as
serious an issue as the regressions which are specific to 4.2, at this
point.

On the functionality front, how up to date is:

 http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC%204.2%20Projects

?  Are some of the submitted projects actually checked in?  Are some of
them no longer likely to be completed for 4.2?  Please update the Wiki
page accordingly, if your project is incorrectly represented.

I'm aware of the following major projects for 4.2 that are somewhat in
limbo:

1) sign-extension elimination

Roger's approved this in principle, but it sounds like the patch doesn't
quite apply, and/or there are issues on IA32?  What is the current
status here?  This is a nice optimization, and it would be nice to have
in 4.2; how can we move this forward?

2) fwprop

We need someone to review this code.  It seems to have demonstrable
goodness.

3) autovectorization improvements

Good autovectorization is becoming ever more-important in performance
evaluation.  Is there someone who can review this patch?

Are there other things that are approximately ready for inclusion that
we should try to get into 4.2?

I don't want to try to set target dates for a release until I have a
clearer picture of the functionality situation.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery