On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:52:14PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>   Yet it would seem to me at first glance that, since dividing unsigned by an
> exact power-of-2 can be optimised to a right shift, and since we can deduce
> that (1 << bpp) is always going to be a power-of-2

Isn't that true only if bpp is small enough?  OTOH, on big bpp we're
probably straight into undefined territory so it may not matter.  But
still, it changes an expected divide-by-zero on some cpus and
divide-by-one on others by a zero return, which may be surprising.

I suspect the divide-by-shift is hidden behind a bazillion macros,
right?  Only that would explain that a human could write such code :-)

  OG.