On 5/14/06, Eric Botcazou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, the Fortran and objc people play nice too, and TBQH, i
> wouldn't mind if we were only a C/C++/F95/Objc compiler.

Yeah, and I presume Objc is in the basket only because it's essentially C.
F95 is a different case since it's a brand new compiler so it doesn't have to
bother about the legacy of a 10+ years old production compiler like GNAT.

That is not an excuse for being so uncooperative as Ada maintainers
can sometimes be when it concerns middle-end changes.  It seems to me
that GNAT has its own agenda ("keep it working with every old backend
out there") that unfortunately conflicts with the interests of the
rest of the compiler collection ("move on, front ends don't need to be
compatible between releases"). I think that was what gdr was trying to
say.

Anyway, if this can be done in gigi, then let's make a plan and work
on it.  I'd really like to see MAPPED_LOCATION become the default, and
Ada is basically the major blocker right now, so we need to agree on
something instead of arguing...  ;-)

But, we'll first have to try and  get MAPPED_LOCATION to bootstrap again...

Gr.
Steven