Devang> This version removes internal radar numbers and replaces s/
Devang> DW_AT_APPLE.../DW_AT_GNU...

I read this.  I'm not anywhere near an expert in dwarf or anything
related to this proposal, so please bear with me if I say something
dumb :-).

I do have a few questions and concerns.

* Why put the optimization diary into the object file?
  Why not just have -Wdiary and print it along with all the warnings?
  (I'm sure there's an answer to this, it would just be nice if it
  were in the document...)

* DW_AT_GNU_OD_cmd - it seems strange for this to be defined in terms
  of text highlighting.  Why have a separate code here for "dead
  code" instead of just marking a text region and having a new _msg
  value meaning "dead code"?

* DW_AT_GNU_OD_category

  The last value is 0x0000 0016.  That seems wrong, I think it should
  end in 0010.

  What are "action trails"?

  Why is the action bit needed?  The example in the text seems wrong,
  since there is an explicit _msg value for "function is inlined",
  and multiple values for why a function might not be inlined.

  How would the user find out what parameter is referred to by a
  parameter manipulation hint?  I don't see where this is recorded.

* DW_AT_GNU_OD_msg

  I presume that GCC will somehow maintain the canonical values here.
  It seems important that there be a central process for registering
  these so that weird divergences don't crop up over time.  Also
  perhaps a "vendor extension" range should be specified?  In any
  case, the mechanisms here ought to be documented.

A nit:

* The first example is oddly formatted.  The blue region encompasses
  an entire comment, but the salmon (? nice color choice :) region
  stops before the '*/'.  And... surely the diary won't be marking
  text regions corresponding to comments anyway?  I feel like I'm
  probably misunderstanding the point of this highlighting.

Tom