Hello,

at the moment, RTL level loop optimizers and most of the tree-level loop
optimizers do not have assigned specific maintainers.  I think this
clearly starts to become a significant problem -- many of the
loop-optimizer related patches in 4.2 timeframe remained unreviewed (the
vectorizer improvement changes, some of my patches for ivopts cleanup,
etc.).  In 4.3 and 4.4 timeframe, there are several projects related to
loop optimizations (http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/AutovectBranchOptimizations,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/PredictiveCommoning,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/AutomaticParallelization,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/PrefetchingImprovements,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/PreservingLoops, Graphite), that I fear might
face delays because of the same problem (see e.g. the (lack of) results
of my attempt to find reviewers for some of them,
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-09/msg00477.html).

And, of course, there are other situations where the fact that there is
no official maintainer is a problem (when looking for someone able to
fix a bug in one of the optimizers, or if someone has questions
regarding them).

On gcc summit, I discussed this with several active loop optimization
developers (Daniel Berlin, Sebastian Pop), and we agreed that one
possible solution would be to have myself and Daniel Berlin to
co-maintain the loop optimizers.  This was proposed to the steering
committee several months ago; however, since there was no progress in
the meantime, I assume this proposal was rejected.

Therefore, I would like to ask steering committee to propose an
alternative solution.  There does not seem to be any easy way how to
address a mail just to the steering committee, so I am sending this to
the gcc mailing list in hope that it will reach the right recipients.

Zdenek