Ah, your "&&" did not indicate which command was failing.

You can work around the issue with CFLAGS="-fno-common", which you probably want to do anyway if this code is ever linked in statically into libgfortran or something. However, it's just the test code that has this issue.

You can also work around this by setting RANLIB="ranlib -c", so that the calling_convention_* symbols get put in the archive table of contents so that the Darwin linker loads the archive member on-demand from libtests.a

Shantonu