> Because gcc is the first step in bringing up a new system.  Having
> complex sets of dependencies makes people's lives harder.  I'm sure
> we've all had the unpleasant experience of trying to build something
> from the net only to discover that we had to build five other things
> first.

In my experience the first thing you do bringing up a new system is build a
cross compiler and use that to build glibc and coreutils/busybox. This is all
done on an established host that has gmp/mpfr ported to it.
Bootstrapping a native compiler comes quite late in system bringup, and only
happens at all on server/workstation-class hardware.

> > > I think that if we stick with our current approach, we will have a lot
> > > of bug reports and dissatisfied users when gcc 4.3 is released.
> >
> > I'd argue that the minority of people who are building from source
> > should not be our primary concern.  Obviously, all other things being
> > equal, we should try to make that easy -- but if we can deliver a
> > better compiler (as Kaveh has already shown we can with his patch
> > series), then we should prioritize that.  For those that want to build
> > from source, we should provide good documentation, and clear
> > instructions as to where to find what they need, but we should assume
> > they can follow complicated instructions -- since the process is
> > already complicated.
>
> I disagree: the process of building gcc from a release (as opposed to
> building the development version of gcc) really isn't complicated.
> The only remotely non-standard thing that is required is GNU make.
> Given that, all you need to do is "SRCDIR/configure; make".
> Admittedly, people often get even that simple instruction wrong.  But
> it is easy to explain what to do.

Last time I tried that it didn't work anyway because it got --enable-__atexit
wrong.

Paul