On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:05:33PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I think it would be better to have GLIBC changed before changing the
> behavior of the compiler.  It might even be better to have a released
> version of GLIBC with the changes.  fixincludes causes sufficient
> problems for people that ensuring that only users putting new compilers
> on old systems suffer might be a good goal.

If we have an attribute for the old GNU extern inline semantics,
I think the GLIBC header changes could be backported to glibc-2_5-branch
once they hit GLIBC trunk and GLIBC 2.5.1 release could include them,
so this can be a matter of weeks or at most a few months.
There are other packages that use extern inline though.

        Jakub