On 10 November 2006 22:31, 'Rask Ingemann Lambertsen' wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 07:11:34PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   No, surely you don't want to do that!  You really need a movdi pattern -
>> even more so if there are no natural DImode-sized registers, as gcse can
>> get terribly confused by bad reg_equal notes if you don't.  See e.g.:
>>
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-04/msg01397.html
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg00993.html
>
>    PR number?

  None that I could find.  Most of the backends in mainline already have movdi
patterns, this is the sort of problem you only run into when you're developing
a custom backend.  The only backends that don't define movdi (or indeed any
DImode instructions) are

avr
c4x
dsp16xx
h8300
mn10200
stormy16

  I don't know if it might be possible to demonstrate the problem on one of
those platforms, I haven't tried.

    cheers,
      DaveK