Paul Eggert wrote:
Roberto Bagnara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

(The platform I'm thinking of is Tandem NSK/OSS.)

Is this correct?  Doesn't C99's 6.2.5#6 mandate that...

This is straying from the subject of GCC and into the
problems of writing portable C code, but since you asked....

The Tandem NSK/OSS environment does not claim full
conformance to C99.  The NSK/OSS community is conservative
(fault-tolerance does that do you :-) and has introduced
only some C99 features, more as time progresses.  The
NSK/OSS developers did not introduce 64-bit unsigned int
until last year.  I'm no expert in the area, but I'd guess
that most NSK/OSS production shops are still running older
releases, which have 64-bit signed int but only 32-bit
unsigned int.

I now understand that Tandem NSK/OSS is not conformant, thanks.

But he reason I asked is that I interpreted what you wrote,
i.e.,

> Also, such an approach assumes that unsigned long long int
> has at least as many bits as long long int.  But this is an
> unportable assumption; C99 does not require this.

as "C99 does not require that unsigned long long int
has at least as many bits as long long int."  My reading,
instead, is that C99 requires unsigned long long int
to have exactly the same number of bits as long long int.
All the best,

     Roberto

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara