On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> Anyways the best way to fix this is just to fix the bug. Someone

We should have 0 unexpected FAILs in 4.2.0 on common platforms (in
particular the primary release criteria ones for the testsuites of the
languages in the release criteria).  How this is achieved is secondary,
but if the bug isn't fixed for 4.2.0 the test should be XFAILed - and we
know from experience that many regressions aren't fixed for releases,
especially where they were present in many previous releases.

> exposed the regression back in 4.0 time frame, I reported the bug
> before getting approval for the patch.  They were not willing to fix
> it so why punish the testcase which is obviously is a regression.

It's not punishing the testcase; it's recognising that we have a bug
tracking system to track regressions and having "expected unexpected
FAILs" is helpful neither to users wishing to know if their compiler built
as expected nor to developers glancing over test results to see if they
seem OK.

--
Joseph S. Myers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]