On 14 Mar 2007 18:42:13 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DJ Delorie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Coprocessor types - the MeP chip has optional coprocessors, each with
> their own register sets.  They need their own internal types (mostly
> to keep track of which unit to use), which we've created by prefixing
> the existing types with COP (i.e. COPSImode, COPDFmode, etc).  This
> affects the generators, some MI files, etc.  The types don't exist
> unless the target calls for them.

This and the register changes come close to multi-arch gcc.  Is that a
direction we want to go?  Historically we have not tried to support
different architectures in the same compiler, even when there are
coprocessors on the same chip.  We've provided different compilers,
and expected people to stich together the .o files.

This is what we do for the Cell also, we expect people to compile
using two different compilers right now, but we are actually looking
into doing an "one source" based compiling where some functions or
loops are pushed off to the SPUs via annotations like the OpenMP ones.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski