On 4/9/07, Diego Novillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Following up on the recent discussion about GIMPLE tuples
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2007-03/msg01126.html), we have summarized
our main ideas and implementation proposal in the attached document.

This should be enough to get the implementation going, but there will be
many details that still need to be addressed.

Thoughts/comments on the proposal?

Yes clobbers for asm are strings and don't really need to be full
trees.  This should help out more.  though it does make it harder to
implement.

For "GS COND", you forgot about all the unorder conditionals which
don't happen that often but can.

Most of the labels can go away with better handling of the CFG.  Gotos
really should pointing to the basic block rather than labels.

I also think we can improve our current gimplification which produces
sometimes ineffient gimplification which will change your numbers of
how many copies exist, see PRs 27798, 27800, 23401, 27810 (this one
especially as combine.i numbers show that).  I am thinking someone
should really look into these bugs before proposing any IR changes, as
the current numbers are just show we have some ineffient other places.

Also I noticed in your pdf, you have "PHI NODE" as 12%, we can improve
the memory usage for this statement by removing the usage of
TREE_CHAIN/TREE_TYPE, so we can save 4/8 bytes for those 12% without
doing much work.  I can send a patch in the next week or so (I am busy
at a conference the next two days but I can start writting a patch
tomorrow).

-- Pinski