If you try

../gcc-4.1.2/configure; make bootstrap

on a powerpc-darwin G4 system, then the bootstrap will fail because the process builds 64-bit multilibs and tries to execute a program with "xgcc -m64'.

In May 2005, PR 21561 reported this same problem on 32-bit x86 solaris; the workaround is to specify --disable-multilibs on the configure line. The suggested fix is to automatically generate this "--disable-multilibs" on machines where bootstrap would fail without it.

A comment in the PR says "Supending until the other bugs like this is fixed." I'm kind of surprised that a bootstrap failure like this was shipped with 4.1.2; also, I couldn't find out using bugzilla what are "the other bugs like this".

Would it be reasonable to reopen this report? A bootstrap failure on 32-bit powerpc-darwin is definitely a regression from gcc-3.

Brad