On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 04:33:56PM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > It's no different than any other library used by any other program.
> > I wouldn't object to configure support to request static gmp/mpfr for
> > developer convenience, but GCC is a perfectly normal dynamically
> > linked program and should behave like one IMO.
>
> How a compiler can be "a perfectly normal dynamically linked program",
> especially if it's the system compiler?  IMHO the less dependencies the
> better in this case.

I honestly don't know how to answer this question.  Bootstrapping is an
unrelated problem, and the compiler is not a vital runtime component
of the system, so its dependencies do not need to be exceptionally
robust in the way that glibc's or even libstdc++'s do.  If you were
talking about linking libstdc++ to MPFR I'd have a different story
to tell.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery