Joseph, Richard --

As C maintainers, have either of you looked at Chao-Ying's fixed-point
branch?

My understanding (from the note on the Wiki page) is that the
fixed-point support is now in reasonably good shape, and works on all
architectures, using an emulation library.  So, I'm wondering if we
should get this into GCC 4.3.

I'm interested in your impressions of:

(a) whether implementing N1169 is likely to be dangerous, in the sense
that the committee might eventually adopt a substantially conflicting
version of the specification,
(b) the quality of the implementation,
(c) risks you would forsee to other parts of the compiler.

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm less interested in your
impressions (if any) of the MIPS back-end changes; those can be looked
at by a MIPS maintainer in due course.  The first step would be to get
this functionality into the C front-end.

Chao-Ying, I'm also interested in whether or not these changes have any
impact on C++.  With your changes, does GNU C++ now accept any
fixed-point constructs?  If so, are you aware of any effort to
standardize any of this functionality in C++?  (I think that my
preference, in the short term, would be to disable this functionality in
C++ -- although, of course, we will eventually want to turn it on so
that GNU C++ is as much as possible a superset of GNU C.)

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery