Brooks Moses wrote:

> Several members of the GFortran team (primarily Chris Rickett and Steve
> Kargl) have been working on a project to add the BIND(C) functionality
> from the Fortran 2003 standard.  This provides for a standard means of
> linking Fortran code with code that uses standard C linkage conventions,
> as well as adding some other useful features.

Thanks for making me aware of this project.

As with the Objective-C changes, I think that the Fortran team can
decide to merge this in Stage 2, so long as its understood that any
problems will be theirs to solve.

This is one way in which its advantageous to be a "secondary" language;
because we can be more flexible about releasing the compiler with some
quality issues for such languages, we can also be more flexible.

> IMO, for the Fortran front end, "regressions-only" is an inappropriate
> criterion for this sort of mode, given that the front end does not have
> a long history for the wrong-code and ICE-on-valid bugs to be
> regressions against.

I think that's less true than it used to be.  It's true that gfortran is
new-ish, and I've given the Fortran team a lot of flexibility in past
release cycles.  But, congratulations are in order: gfortran is now a
real Fortran compiler and people really are using it!  But,
"regressions, wrong-code, and ICEs" isn't a bad criteria for this
intermediate lockdown.

I do expect Fortran to honor the regressions-only rule once the 4.3
release branch has been made.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell