>> It has not yet been decided what to do about files that are part of
>> run-time libraries and are covered by GPL/LGPL + exception.
>> Therefore, no changes to

>I find this truncated sentence to be slightly ominous as I believe
>there is only one plausible choice for those files: we must convert
>them to be GPLv3/LGPLv3 + exception, where the exception is identical
>or equivalent to the current one.  Adding any restrictions to the
>licensing of those files will cost us a significant portion of our
>user base.

I see this as a less ominous development than you.

I think the issue is that the FSF may be trying to come up with a
unified GPLv3 + exception that libjava, libstdc++, libgfortran, libgcc,
etc. can all use. The current exception wording is being reviewed with
the existing GPLv3 text by lawyers.

Certainly, this would be an improvement over the current practice.

-benjamin