On Jul 16, 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kenner) wrote:

> A license is not between the user of the software and the FSF, but between
> the user and who he got it from.  My TiVo contains FSF-copyrighted software
> and I got a license to use it from TiVo, not the FSF.

GPLv2:

      6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on
      the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license
      from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Program subject to these terms and conditions.

> This is important to understand!

Indeed ;-)

> If A obtains software from the FSF and distributes it to B, who
> distributes it to C who, in turn, distributes it to D, there is a
> license between A and the FSF, B and C, C and B, and D and C.

If it were so and any of them infringes on the license, then all
downstream users would have their licenses at risk.  This situation
would be akin to sub-licensing.  But this is not how the GPL works.

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   [EMAIL PROTECTED], gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  [EMAIL PROTECTED], gnu.org}