Andrew Haley wrote:
David Daney writes:
 > Stephen M. Kenton wrote:
 > > Hello all,
> > > .
> > I realize that there are various "solutions" for specific > > platforms. Dan Kegel's excellent crosstool and the cross-lfs website, > >
 > .
 > .
 > .
which case building the toolchain is the least of your problems -- you
don't need to boostrap.  Just point the sysroot at the root filesystem
of your target OS when configuring the cross compiler.
It is not always that simple. Sometimes you have everything you need for an existing OS except a sysroot. While it theory one might be able to obtain a suitable pre-built sysroot, often it is easier to bootstrap.

Recently I bootstrapped a mips64-linux sysroot. I installed Debian mips which is 32 bits, but the kernel is 64 bits and can handle a mips64-linux userspace also. For me it seemed the easiest path to obtaining a sysroot was to crib off of the cross-lfs instructions. However I will never do it again now that I have a working sysroot.

David Daney