The IA-32 instruction set does distignuish between integer and
floating point bitiwse operations.  In addition to the single-precision
floating-point bitwise instructions that tbp mentioned (ORPS, ANDPS,
ANDNPS and XORPS) there are both distinct double-precision floating-point
bitwise instructions (ORPD, ANDPD, ANDNPD and XORPD) and integer bitwise
instructions (POR, PAND, PANDN and PXOR).  While these operations all do
the same thing, they can differ in performance depending on the context.

Oops, I only remembered PS vs. PD (I remembered POR as MMX instructions only). I believe that optimizing this should be a task for the x86 machine dependent reorg.

Paolo