The LTO driver requires libelf and currently grovels around in the
system directories looking for it, which may not always be the right
place to find it.  (This bit me when building LTO on our new Linux
machines, which do not have libelf installed.)  The Right Thing would be
to add a --with-libelf flag to configure so we wouldn't have to assume
it's always installed in one particular place.  A small LTO project
would be for someone to add a --with-libelf to configure.

I'm not an expert at configury; would somebody else like to take a whack
at this?

-Nathan