Michael_fogel writes:
 > Hello
 >
 > For my diploma thesis I have to implement a new back-end for GCC.
 > The microcontroller is based on an FPGA and was developed one year ago.
 > Only an Assembler is available and now my university lecturer wants an C
 > compiler too. I decided to use GCC in version 4.2.1 as basis for the new
 > compiler.
 >
 > I started with an new target, defined the mandatory target macros and
 > implemented the instruction patterns.
 >
 > After i few tries i was able to compile my first file. Now I try to make
 > the optimization working, but there is a problem i can not solve.
 > Compiling the following code with activated optimization comes up with
 > an error message.
 >

 > #define RAM_ADDRESS 0
 > #define SERIAL_OFFSET 800
 >
 > void ReadSerialNumber(void) {
 >   int  SerialNumber, c;
 >   char *s;
 >
 >   SerialNumber   =   0;
 >   s   =   (char*)(RAM_ADDRESS + SERIAL_OFFSET);
 >   while ((c =  *s - '0') <= 9){
 >       SerialNumber = 10*SerialNumber + c;
 >       s++;
 >   }
 >
 >   // ...
 > }
 >
 > test.c: In function 'ReadSerialNumber':
 > test.c:40: internal compiler error: in create_mem_ref, at
 > tree-ssa-address.c:677
 > Please submit a full bug report,
 >
 > adding an volatile
 >
 > volatile char *s;
 >

 > fixes it but I think the real problem is somewhere else.

Are you telling us that you have got all this way with gcc, but you
have *never* debugged it with gdb?  If so, this is the time to learn.
Run "gcc -v" to see te args passed to cc1, break out gdb, and start
debugging the ICE.

A clue:

  /* Verify that the address is in the simplest possible shape
     (only a register).  If we cannot create such a memory reference,
     something is really wrong.  */
  gcc_assert (parts.symbol == NULL_TREE);
  gcc_assert (parts.index == NULL_TREE);
  gcc_assert (!parts.step || integer_onep (parts.step));
  gcc_assert (!parts.offset || integer_zerop (parts.offset));
  gcc_unreachable ();

Andrew.